Over half our population is comprised of visual learners, which underscores the importance of digital displays, smart boards and other technology in K-12 classrooms. Today’s students arrive fluent in technology making digital display screens, apps and computers that much more important. Classroom technology isn’t an option anymore; it’s a necessity in order for K-12 teachers to facilitate learning.
In addition, parents depend on digital screens as a means for communicating and staying informed about school events and other notices. Administration uses them to deliver messaging from a central location, saving time and printing costs. But school districts are caught in the crosshairs. They understand how technology facilitates sticky learning and serves parents and students but the costs associated with purchasing, installing, and maintaining equipment create barriers to implementing a plan.
Deploying digital signage in K-12 schools has key benefits. Here are a few:
Communication across student, parent and faculty populations
- Digital displays remind students of upcoming events and school functions while eliminating the need for bulletin boards and keeping hallways clutter free
- They increase awareness for fundraising events, PTA meetings and other school support activities
- Displays can be mounted in various locations for specific purposes; main office as welcoming signage, gyms, auditoriums, libraries to highlight special events, and cafeterias as menu boards
- In times of emergency, severe weather or other news, the digital display network can easily transform into an emergency broadcasting system to issue alerts and instructions
- Displays can be used to reward academic and athletic excellence with on-screen recognition
- They also help promote school spirit to increase attendance at sporting, academic, drama and other school and extra curricular events
- Digital signage can facilitate a healthy learning environment by encouraging positive behavior across the entire campus. For example, nutritional and fitness encouragement, anti-bullying messaging and other campaigns.
- Outdoor displays notify parents of upcoming events when they arrive at the school for pick-ups and drop-offs.
- For schools with large ELL populations, translating messaging into to other languages is easy and helpful for non-English speaking parents
Learning in the classroom and beyond
- Display screens assist in enhancing presentations and lectures by allowing instructors to use animation and video
- Classroom screens facilitate collaborative learning modules during which teachers receive real-time feedback from students during lessons
- Virtual field trips, collaborating with students in other geographies, and streaming video feeds bring experiences into classrooms in a ways books can’t
- Displays help hearing impaired and ELL students by providing written messaging and messages in other languages
- In-class morning announcements can be customized to each classroom or broadcast to all simultaneously. These might include student recognitions, college prep information, test scores, classroom assignments and upcoming events and other announcements or reminders
Low costs and less resources needed to maintain
- Save money on paper, ink, toner and time to make and disperse printed bulletins
- Sell more tickets for events by generating interest through eye-catching digital display promotions
- Use screens as a revenue opportunity by forming partnerships with community businesses looking to build their brand through team sponsorships, event and advertising
Nearly two-thirds of K-12 school district leaders understand that creating an integrated digital learning environment is a top priority. Digital signage placed in strategic locations across K-12 environments meet the need for technology and they’re scalable, low cost and easy to maintain.
NWN is a leading expert in digital technology and networking. We understand the context, planning cycles, and unique pressures our K-12 education customers face. To learn more about digital displays and how they facilitate learning and communication in K-12 and higher education institutions, please contact us, we’re here to help!